Our team of podiatric specialists and staff strive to improve the overall health of our patients by focusing on preventing, diagnosing and treating conditions associated with your feet. Please use our podiatric library on the left to learn more about podiatric problems and treatments available. If you have questions and live in the Berkley, Southfield, Royal Oak, Oak Park, Ferndale, or surrounding area, give us a call or schedule an appointment, please feel free to contact us.
It's normal for people to experience some foot problems as they age. But experts say that problems with feet can be the first sign of more serious medical conditions, particularly among older adults. Health problems, such as arthritis, diabetes, nerve issues, and circulatory disorders, may first be manifested in the feet. That is why it is important to pay attention to your feet and seek medical attention as soon as you notice a problem.
Here are some foot care tips for older adults:
- Practice good foot care. Check your feet regularly or have a member of your family check them for you.
- Keep blood circulating to your feet as much as possible. Do this by putting your feet up when you are sitting or lying down, stretching if you've had to sit for a long while, walking, having a gentle foot massage, or taking a warm foot bath.
- Wear comfortable shoes that fit well to prevent pressures that can lead to friction and infection and keep your foot structure properly aligned.
- Avoid exposing your feet to cold temperatures.
- Don't sit for long periods of time (especially with your legs crossed).
- Don't smoke because it decreases blood supply and increases the chance of swelling and other circulatory problems.